Re: Please pass judgement on X-Oz licence: free or nay?

On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 03:55:19PM -0500, Joe Wreschnig wrote:
> You read more carefully.
>
> The XFree86 license (/usr/share/doc/xserver-xfree86/copyright):
> "Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a
> copy of this software and associated documentation files (the
> "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including
> without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish,
> distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to
> permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to
> the following conditions:"
>
> It's the *same wording*. It's also used on the X Consortium license, and
> Debian's packaging scripts, and the Open Group license.
>
> The X-Oz license is non-free and GPL-incompatible because of clause 3,
> not clause 4. The "X-Oz" license that Daniel posted that started this
> thread is *exactly the same* as the license of the rest of X, including
> Debian-specific bits.

FWIW, the conclusion I've taken back to fd.o/X.Org is that we don't need
to bother about xf86AutoConfig.c and other files with this three-clause
licence, and that the only smoke was ever caused by a simple mistake.
I'm not going to bother reporting back the rest of this thread, except
to note that debian-legal should be read selectively.

--
Daniel Stone                                                <daniels@debian.org>
Debian: the universal operating system                     http://www.debian.org