Re: Free non-software stuff and what does it mean. [was Re: General Resolution: Force AMD64 into Sarge]

On Mon, Aug 02, 2004 at 10:48:27PM -0500, Ryan Underwood wrote:
> > > I think "preferred form of modification" still works here -- if the form
> > > is too large to be easily passed around, it's clearly not preferred.
> >
> > I disagree.  The preferred form of modification for these movie clips is
> > the original lossless data, or the AfterEffects, etc. data, and so on.
>
> I disagree.  The preferred form of modification is completely subjective
> and depends on the individual who is modifying the software.  Subjective
> opinions aren't going to work for policy.  For non-program files such as

Considering it works for the GPL--a copyright license, drafted by lawyers,
subject to the interpretation of a court of law, and scrutinized more than
any other license ever used, I'm sure--I think this is a silly assertion.

> multimedia or publications, there should be a master list of MIME types
> and a voted-on list of acceptable source code formats for each MIME
> type, in the case that upstream does not certify that the file was
> created as-is from scratch (example: capturing directly via hardware or
> via a software filter to a MPEG-4 or Vorbis file).

I think this is too stupid an idea to even spend my time debating (or
even to spend time coming up with a more diplomatic way of saying so).

--
Glenn Maynard