Re: Quick(?) Questions on Choice of Law & Venue

On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 08:53:07AM -0400, Michael Poole wrote:
> Anthony DeRobertis writes:
>
> Obviously debian-legal isn't a place to get legal advice, and I think
> most lawyers would demand more details before giving legal advice, so
> take all this with a grain of salt.

Of course.

> With choice of law, John could apply US laws in
> Abel's court, but only to the extent that they apply to terms of the
> license.

Well, it is a copyright license, so I assume if there is a choice of law
for (for example) Fairfax, Virginia, USA, then US copyright law would
apply.

The DMCA is part of US copyright law, so wouldn't it apply too? If so, I
have reservations about the freeness of choice-of-law provisions.