Re: RPSL and DFSG-compliance - choice of venue

On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 02:02:11PM -0400, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> (intentional thread break)
>
> On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 02:48:27PM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > > RPSL 12.6 requires a fee for distribution, violating DFSG 1.
> >
> > I'm fairly certain that there isn't clear consensus on this.
>
> Regardless of whether choice of venue is a "fee", the only people I've
> seen who appear to believe that choice of venue is free are you, Lex
> Spoon and Sven Luther.
>
> On the other side, we appear to have: Edmund Evans, Steve Langasek,
> Andrew Suffield, Brian Sniffen, Evan Prodromou, Branden Robinson, Josh
> Triplett, Michael Poole, MJ Ray, Nathanael Nerode, Henning Makholm, Raul
> Miller, Matthew Palmer, Walter Landry, and myself.

So, there is : 4 against 15, or rhougly 21 % of people who think that choice
of venue could be a "fee". IS 80% enough to get consensus ?

Also, i belive of some you listed, some consider choice of venue non-free, but
don't consider it as a fee, if i remember well.

> Informal and inexact as my reading of these people's posts may be, I
> honestly think you overstate the disagreement on this issue ...

Well, i think if the question would be if the choice of venue consitutes a
fee, and thus violate DFSG 1, or is not a fee and thus either needs a new DFSG
entry, or violate DFSG 5 by discriminating against licence violators far away
from the chosen venue, then you would have a much less consensual situation
still.

BTW, mt upstream is ready to drop choice of venue from the QPLish licence, so
i won't argue here, but i still believe that one has to be hallucinating to
consider choice of venue a fee. The DFSG 5 problem i may admit, but choice of
venue as fee, not.

Friendly,

Sven Luther