Re: xinetd license possibly violates DFSG #4

On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 07:12:25PM -0400, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 05:59:45PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > It doesn't seem to consider that possibility.  Is it DFSG-free to prohibit
> > code reuse in other projects?
[...]
> Patch clauses are at least one case in which prohibiting code reuse entirely
> is allowed--even in projects using permissive licenses, or projects using the
> same license.

Hmmm.  I'm not sure blanket acceptance of "closed-universe" projects is
really a good idea.  I'm not sure it serves our users very well, and I'm
pretty confident it doesn't serve the Free Software community very well.

At the same time, I'm struggling to determine an essential distinction
between a single de-facto closed-universe project, and a vast collection of
such projects (which all works licensed under the GNU GPL could be said to
be).

> I don't think "if you reuse this code, you must use this versioning scheme"
> is acceptable.

I agree.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |      What cause deserves following if
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      its adherents must bury their