Re: GUADEC report

To summarise: yes, tell us where debian-legal goes wrong, but don't be a sniper.

On 2004-07-10 08:07:08 +0100 Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> wrote:

Well, while you're all vigorously agreeing with each other, it would be nice if you guys would cite actual examples of debian-legal people "beating
upstreams about the head and shoulders with ideology".

Sadly, you don't have to look too far to find debian-legal people flaming upstreams, but these aren't usually regular posters, DDs or particularly concerned with ideology. Also, those who are regulars or DDs do usually try to fix that bug when they notice it.

Even more common is are -legal subcribers flaming DDs if they fail to express their ideas (or are just plain wrong), which is also not helpful.

Really, this is one of the problems of running an open list and inviting all-comers to help. On the whole, the benefits outweigh the drawbacks, but we need to keep on top of it.

So, I second your invitation to Buddha Buck, David Nusinow and Andrew Pollock to make us aware of things we need to fix or learn from, rather than propogating the myth that we see "beating upstreams about the head" as a good tool. I want more free software and friends of free software.

[...] some third party Debian developer who seems enraged
that questions are even being asked.[3]

I dislike DDs who want this list to engage in a conspiracy of silence and denial, never look at existing packages and so on. It helps me if everyone who wants to understand these issues does. If we misunderstand something, then I'd love us to be corrected, as then I know more. The likes of Marco d'Itri are snipers, sitting in their ivory towers and trying to improve the school by shooting at those they think are failing, breeding fear and mistrust. I have much more respect for people like Matthew Garrett, who actually help, even though I don't completely agree with him.

"Before we try to work out if he's competent,
 let's work out if he's conscious." (anon. exam marker)