Re: Blast from the Past: the LaTeX Project Public License, version 1.3

Hi,

thank you Branden for your comparison and all the work you folks put
into this issue!

Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> wrote:

> Oddly, the version of the LPPL shipped in tetex-base[8] is still version
> 1.2, and a review of the tetex package changelog shows no new upstream
> release since 2.0.2.[9].  I am therefore not sure Debian is shipping
> anything under the new license yet.

Not in the teTeX packages, perhaps in some other TeX-related package. A
new teTeX release is under way, but I doubt that it will make it into
sarge. On the other hand, I think many LPPL-licensed files contain a
"version 1.2 or later" clause.

I did not follow the discussion regarding the old LPPL on -legal. I know
that it was regarded to be problematic, but not whether it is in fact
non-free.  Is there any problem with us shipping LPPL-1.2-licensed
works? Do we have to sort out whether the files do have a "or later"
clause?

I hope not - I have other things to do this summer, Debian related and
mostly not.

Regards, Frank
Abt. Biophysikalische Chemie