Re: GUADEC report

Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker wrote:
> Josh Triplett <josh.trip@verizon.net> writes:
>
>>For example, "Abiword" is a trademarked name; Abisource requires that
>>modified versions of Abiword are either called "Abiword Personal", or
>>that they don't have "Abiword" in the name.  This is a perfectly
>>reasonable application of a trademark to Free Software, and Debian
>>distributes of Abiword using the branding "Abiword Personal".
>
> Not as far as I can se:

>      AbiWord is the first application of a complete, open source office
>      suite. The upstream source includes cross-platform support for
>      Win32, BeOS, and QNX as well as GTK+ on Unix.
>      .
>      This package contains the AbiWord binary built with GTK2/GNOME2.
>
> Neither the GNOME menu entry, the splash screen, the window title nor
> the about box mention "Personal" in any way.
>
>>From what I see at
> <http://www.abisource.com/information/license/personal.phtml> the source
> they distribute should automatically brand itself "AbiWord Personal",
> but the source only mentions "Personal build" (or anything resembling)
> in the Windows .nsi installer files.

Interesting.  I was almost certain that at one point Abiword was branded
"Abiword Personal" in Debian, and used the blue ant graphics rather than
the official graphics.  However, checking again, I see that this is not
the case in either the stable or unstable versions.  This is definitely
a violation of the Abiword license, and should be submitted as a serious
bugreport on the abiword package.

- Josh Triplett