Re: How aggressively should non-distributability bugs be dealt with?

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 15:58:37 -0700 Josh Triplett wrote:

> > Of course, releasing the source is an essential step of making
> > something free.
> > When I wrote "to r[e]license it under a GPL-compatible license" (and
> > put a typo in it...  :p ) I meant implicitly that source code should
> > be provided also...
>
> No problem.  The only reason I mentioned it is that one of the many
> facets of this issue involves firmware images supposedly licensed
> under the GPL, but with no source provided.  In these cases, even
> though the license is Free, the firmware is non-distributable.

Sure, 'cause we don't have what we need to distribute in compliance with
the license. Hence the copyight holder is the Only One who can
distribute such `free-wannabe' software...  :-(

I agree with you: such clarification was useful.

--
             |  GnuPG Key ID = DD6DFCF4 | You're compiling a program
  Francesco  |        Key fingerprint = | and, all of a sudden, boom!
     Poli    | C979 F34B 27CE 5CD8 DC12 |         -- from APT HOWTO,