Re: How long is it acceptable to leave *undistributable* files in the kernel package?

17-Jun-04 12:24 Humberto Massa wrote:
> @ 17/06/2004 00:43 : wrote Raul Miller :

 >>My point is that any sentence talking about "a work based on the
 >>Program" is by default talking about both derivative and collective
 >>works.

> No way. The clause #0 of the GPL is crystal clear: << a "work based on
> the Program" means either the Program or any derivative work under
> copyright law >> DERIVATIVE. Under copyright law.

Here is the full definition from GPL:

  a "work based on the Program" means either the Program or any
  derivative work under copyright law: that is to say, a work
  containing the Program or a portion of it, either verbatim or with
  modifications and/or translated into another language.

Look, it explicitly mentions "a work containing the Program". The
language is probably not ideal but it's crystal clear that "work based
on the Program" is intended to mean _any_ work containing some part of
the original work, be it a derived work, a compilation, or just a
non-creative transformation. Even "the Program" itself is included in
the definition of a "work based on the Program".

Sasha