Re: Draft Summary: MPL is not DFSG free

Mahesh T. Pai wrote:

Jim Marhaus said on Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 09:49:36PM +0000,:

 > 1. Firebird Database
 > http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/f/firebird/firebird_1.0.2-2.1/copyright

Something wrong here??

I do a apt-cache show firebird-c64-server here, and get this :-

<quote> (with several snips)
Package: firebird-c64-server
Section: misc
Installed-Size: 500
Maintainer: Grzegorz Prokopski (Debian Developer) <gadek@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Source: firebird
Version: 1.0.2-2.1

Firebird  is   a  commercially  independent  project  of   C  and  C++
programmers,   technical  advisors   and  supporters   developing  and
enhancing a multi-platform relational database management system based
on  the source code  released by  Inprise Corp  (now known  as Borland
Software Corp)  under the InterBase  Public License v.1.0 on  25 July,
2000.
</quote>

Ditto for firebird-c32-server

http://info.borland.com/devsupport/interbase/opensource/IPL.html

IPL is essentially MPL, with a s/Mozilla/InterBase. It has the same choice of venue clauses.

In addition, if this is indeed the version of the license that applies to Firebird (I.E. it wasn't forked before these restrictions were added), it also has an OAC, and some sticky 'you can't use our name clauses' at the end which might be worth looking at:

"II. Trademark Usage.

II.1. Advertising Materials. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of the covered Code must display the following acknowledgement: "This product includes software developed by Borland Software Corp. "

II.2. Endorsements. The names "InterBase," "ISC," and "IB" must not be used to endorse or promote Contributor Versions or Larger Works without the prior written permission of Interbase.

II.3. Product Names. Contributor Versions and Larger Works may not be called "InterBase" or "Interbase" nor may the word "InterBase" appear in their names without the prior written permission of Interbase."

--
Lewis Jardine
IANAL IANADD