Re: gens License Check - Non-free

On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 12:00:21PM -0700, Josh Triplett wrote:
> Also, note that the Linux kernel includes an explicit exception for
> works that simply make system calls; without that exception, software
> that uses any system call specific to Linux would most likely be a
> derived work of the kernel, and would fall under the GPL.

I still wonder if this exception is legitimate--I don't have any real
examples, but with a code base the size of the kernel, I can't imagine
that it hasn't imported any GPL code that hasn't granted this permission,
or that they really did track down old MIA contributors.  (Maybe I have
the wrong impression of the kernel people, and they're more thorough
with respect to licensing than I think.)

--
Glenn Maynard