Re: gens License Check - Non-free

@ 08/06/2004 13:58 : wrote Benjamin Cutler :

Humberto Massa wrote:

I can't even find the original source page for Starscream any more...

Other (better!) option would be try the Starscream original author to release under a more liberal license (BSD/MIT/2clause or even the GPL). As to mpg123, what about mpg321 ??

I should also have mentioned that the e-mail address for Starscream bounced when I tried it. So I really have no idea how to reach the guy who wrote it in the first place.

I had another idea, though. I've noticed a few packages in contrib don't actually assemble the package until postinst... could I seperate gens into "gens" (all the GPL code) and "gens-nonfree" (mpg123 and Starscream), and have gens postinst call "ld" at install-time? The two packages would contain the relevant .o files... and would techinically be seperate packages.

You still have to *prove* that the "gens" package is not a derived work on the "gens-nonfree" package. Your better bet would be getting another m68k emulator to work.

--
br,M