Re: ipw2100 firmware distributable?

Sebastian Ley wrote:

> Hello legal wizards,
>
> I need some advice about a license, my legal-english is not enough to
> determine whether the ipw2100 (popular wifi chipset) firmware by Intel
> is distributable in non-free.
>
> The license can be found here:
> http://ipw2100.sourceforge.net/firmware.php?fid=2
>
> My problems are:
> - Are we as Debian project a OEM or ISV?
ISV.

> - Since Intel requires an acceptance of this EULA, would I need to
>   gather that acceptance too?

It looks, in fact, like all mirror operators would have to accept it.

That makes it undistributable.

> - If it is not redistributable, may I add a downloading feature to the
>   postinst?
Legally, yes, if the downloading feature forces the end-user to go through
the EULA and all that crapola.

Technically, it seems nasty to have a postinst prompt the user to accept a
EULA; if installation is in noninteractive mode, you'd have to refuse to
download.

In conclusion: EEEEEWWWWWW!