Re: A radical approach to rewriting the DFSG#

On Mon, May 31, 2004 at 07:31:51PM -0400, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 01, 2004 at 12:00:03AM +0100, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> > I'd like to append something like the following:
> >
> > The license may not place further constraints on the naming or
> > labelling of the derivative work. This includes specifying the form of
> > such notices, or the manner in which derivative works must be named.
>
> /usr/share/doc/apache/copyright
>
> 5. Products derived from this software may not be called "Apache",
>    nor may "Apache" appear in their name, without prior written
>    permission of the Apache Software Foundation.

Bletch. Still, no "derived works must have NMU versions" clauses.

> > > N. Acknowledgements in documentation
> >
> > > The license for a free program may require that end-user
> > > documentation which accompanies the program contains a short
> > > acknowledgement that credits the author.
> >
> > That's horrible. This could mean that we have to include the blasted
> > things in the release notes. Survey of licenses and a tighter
> > restriction before we write this one in, please. I'm not sufficiently
> > familiar with such clauses to be able to pull one out of the air.
>
> /usr/share/doc/apache/copyright
>
> 3. The end-user documentation included with the redistribution,
>    if any, must include the following acknowledgment:
>       "This product includes software developed by the
>        Apache Software Foundation (http://www.apache.org/)."
>    Alternately, this acknowledgment may appear in the software itself,
>    if and wherever such third-party acknowledgments normally appear.

We're invoking the second part of this across the board. The first one
alone would not be free; fortunately it is a disjunction, allowing us
to ignore the first part.

Hell, the first part would probably fail DFSG #9 (contamination).

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |