Re: Cronyx Tau-ISA obfuscated driver

On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 10:27:35AM -0400, Brian Thomas Sniffen wrote:
> Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@nic.fr> writes:
>
> > Free/non-free? (Only an academic interest, I did not use this driver
> > yet.)
>
> Having checked the licenses on the files in the Tau-PCI distribution,
> many of them appear to be free.  But the obfuscated files, such as
> cpddk.c, have the license: "All Rights Reserved".

I found a copy at [1] that has the following header
 * Copyright (C) 1999-2003 Cronyx Engineering.
 * Author: Serge Vakulenko, <vak@cronyx.ru>
 *
 * Copyright (C) 2000-2004 Cronyx Engineering.
 * Author: Roman Kurakin, <rik@cronyx.ru>
 *
 * This software is distributed with NO WARRANTIES, not even the implied
 * warranties for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
 *
 * Authors grant any other persons or organisations a permission to use,
 * modify and redistribute this software in source and binary forms,
 * as long as this message is kept with the software, all derivative
 * works or modified versions.

This seems to allow deobfuscation, I took a quick stab on deobfuscating
it and cpddk.h contains the structures with full names/labels so it
should not be a total dead end, but the second problem is that there are
some large firmware blobs that will be hard for anyone to decode.

/jp

(And no I won't do a full deobfuscation, it was more of a mental game)

[1] http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/cp/cpddk.c?rev=1.1

--
 jens persson         #        I met someone who looks a lot like you
 <jens@persson.cx>    #                    She does the things you do