Re: The draft Position statement on the GFDL

On May 10, 2004, at 16:40, Raul Miller wrote:

No, but good editorial practice does. We shouldn't be having pages of
invariant sections saying "actually, FOO is now true". That makes
documents hard to read.

Should we get a new invariant section every time the FSF changes its
address?

The DFSG does not mandate good editorial practice, good coding style or
any of a variety of other virtues.

Of course not. The DFSG is a list of guidelines that helps us determine if a given piece of software is free or not.

My point was that the GFDL prohibits perfectly ordinary and necessary derivative works, and that violates DFSG 3.

(I think we must understand DFSG broadly, not narrowly, otherwise it'd allow things like 'you can change this software only for localization purposes')