Re: about licenses for 3D models

On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 12:26:33AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 11:42:38PM +1000, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> > [CCing you because of the address in the To: field; apologies if you didn't
> > want the CC]
> >
> > On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 02:54:16PM +0200, Jiba wrote:
> > > About a character 3D model, I am wondering if such a statement can occur
> > > in a free license:
> > >
> > > "You can re-use the model, but you must keep the name of the character,
> > > and his background".
> >
> > I can't find anything which immediately contravenes the DFSG.
>
> Then you're not reading it correctly.  The "G" in DFSG stands for
> "Guidelines".
>
> We pledge to keep Debian 100% Free Software, not read the DFSG as
> narrowly as possible.

Sigh.  Thanks for that, Branden.  Keeping d-legal as happy and healthy as
ever.

I'm not trying to read the DFSG as narrowly as possible.  I was merely
observing that I couldn't find a clause of the DFSG that really stated that
what the OP was proposing was non-free.  You conveniently cut the parts of
my message that gave some possible DFSG problems, depending on
interpretation, and some practical problems that may be significant,
depending on the licensor's interpretation of the given statement.

- Matt