Re: Help with SPIN License

Scripsit mcguire@cs.utexas.edu

> 4.0 MODIFICATIONS.  You agree to provide the Original Contributor, at
> its request, with a copy of t he complete Source Code version, Object
> Code version and related documentation for Modifica tions created or
> contributed to by You.

Debian-legal usually views such clauses as non-free.

> Original Contributor and/or other Contributors shall have
> unrestricted, n onexclusive, worldwide, perpetual, royalty-free
> rights, to use, reproduce, modify, display, perform, sublicense an d
> distribute Your Modifications, and to grant third parties the right
> to do so, including without limitation as a part of or with the Licensed
> Software;

And this is even worse - upstream wants the right to re-release my
modifications as proprietary code.

> 6.0  TERMINATION 6.1 The licenses and rights granted under this Agreement
> shall terminate automatica lly if (i) You fail to comply with all of
> the terms and conditions herein; or (ii) You initiate or participat e
> in any intellectual property action against Original Contributor and/or
> another Contributor.

Argh. A termination clause that triggers by any legal action that
relates to intellectual property.

> 11.0 LICENSE VERSIONS.  LUCENT, at its sole discretion, may from time to
> time publish a revised and/or new version of this Agreement (each such
> revised or new version shall carry a disti nguishing version number)
> which shall govern  all copies of Licensed Software downloaded after
> the posting of s uch revised or new version of this Agreement.

This is badly worded. Would it cover copies that are downloaded from,
say, a Debian mirror after Lucent decides to revoke the license?

--
Henning Makholm          "Ambiguous cases are defined as those for which the
                       compiler being used finds a legitimate interpretation