Re: debian-legal review of licenses

On Jan 25, 2004, at 13:19, Daniel Quinlan wrote:

I wasn't asking for anything binding, maybe advance approval is not
quite the right word.  Obviously, a patent or some other problem could
easily chuck some piece of software into non-free.

We've found several times that it can take a while to notice all the non-free aspects of a complex license. Consider that originally it seemed "GFDL w/o invariant sections" was free, but then after re-appraising the situation we found even that wasn't.

How many of the currently-known problems with the GFDL weren't found until our second or third look at it?