Re: Non-free package licenses and replacements

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004, Niklas Vainio wrote:

> The page is at http://www.iki.fi/nvainio/debian/non-free.html
This is a good effort.  As a maintainer of three non-free packages
(molphy, treetool, phylip) I can assure you that I regularly try
to contact the authors of these programms.  For the first two
(molphy and treetool) it is just the problem that the authors are
not available any more.  I'm very positive that they would clarify
the license to be free once the DFSG criteria would be explained to
them.  Perhaps we might need some kind of echelon system to find
out the current address of the authors to be able to ask them.

The third one phylip has kind of a stuborn author - I failed to
explain the advantage and the sense of a free license ...

Kind regards

           Andreas.