Re: latex2html license: "A Letter to Leeds University", round 2

On 2004-01-20 19:06:27 +0000 Jakob Bohm <jbj@image.dk> wrote:

Actually, it can be read as either the Latin (as explained
above) or as an abbreviation of "Regarding". [...]

I suspect it cannot, as there is no denotation of abbreviation. For the Latin meaning, I cite Collins Concise English Dictionary as my source, although there are others.

In contrast, the Re: used in e-mails is an abbreviation of Reply
carefully chosen to coincide with the abbreviation used in
letters to represent "Res" or "Regarding". [...]

Do you have a reference for that, please? Regardless, emails weren't being discussed originally.

For illustration, this e-mail contains both types of Re: header,
showing the difference in semantics and usage.

Actually, on letters I more often see "Re The recent postings ..." without a colon, but these headers seem only to be popular amongst people like accountants &c.

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ slef@jabber.at