Re: ckermit: license advice

Ian Beckwith <ianb@nessie.mcc.ac.uk> writes:

> The basic problem is that the kermit project depends on license
> revenue (mostly, I think, from the large unix vendors) for funding.
> They want to make kermit as free as possible without jeopardising that
> revenue.
>
> Are there any similar projects/companies out there with the same sort
> of business model that release software with DFSG-compliant licenses?
>
> It appears the most common models are either charging for support or
> crippling the free version. The kermit project already provides free
> support to everyone, so either of these options would be a net loss.

The other model used sometimes is to dual license.  Provide a free
version under the GPL and a sell a version that companies can take
proprietary.  Whether this makes sense with kermit, of course, I have no
idea -- it depends mostly on how the large unix vendors in question are
using the kermit code (are they simply including it in the OS
distribution, or using the code in new products?).  It could also get a
bit tricky with contributions -- if people contribute new code under the
GPL the kermit folks wouldn't be able to add it to the for-proprietary
version.  If they chose this model they'd have to get permission for
this from contributors.

--
Jeremy Hankins <nowan@nowan.org>