Re: summary of software licenses in non-free

13-Jan-04 14:52 Branden Robinson wrote:
> I personally[1] would maintain that a requirement to change a filename
> is an unacceptable restriction on one's freedom to modify the work.  The
> LaTeX Project no longer appears to be interested in contending this
> issue, and I know of no other copyright holder of software packaged by
> the Debian Project who does.

Even if situation with TeX, Metafont and Computer Modern fonts is
moot, I think there are other examples from the TeX world with a
requirement to change a filename. First, other files by Knuth:

  plain.tex

% This is the plain TeX format that's described in The TeXbook.
% N.B.: A version number is defined at the very end of this file;
%       please change that number whenever the file is modified!
% And don't modify the file unless you change its name:
%       Everybody's "plain.tex" file should be the same, worldwide.

% Unlimited copying and redistribution of this file are permitted as long
% as this file is not modified. Modifications are permitted, but only if
% the resulting file is not named plain.tex.

  hyphen.tex

% The Plain TeX hyphenation tables [NOT TO BE CHANGED IN ANY WAY!]
% Unlimited copying and redistribution of this file are permitted as long
% as this file is not modified. Modifications are permitted, but only if
% the resulting file is not named hyphen.tex.

Second, files by AMS (amslatex and amstex). Typical comment from
their file:

%%%   copyright = "Copyright 1995, 2000 American Mathematical Society,
%%%                all rights reserved.  Copying of this file is
%%%                authorized only if either:
%%%                (1) you make absolutely no changes to your copy,
%%%                including name; OR
%%%                (2) if you do make changes, you first rename it
%%%                to some other name.",

(Quotes are taken from files on CTAN.)

Sasha