Re: ckermit: license advice

Scripsit Ian Beckwith <ianb@nessie.mcc.ac.uk>

> > (A) The C-Kermit software, in source and/or binary form, may be
> >     included WITHOUT EXPLICIT LICENSE in distributions of OPERATING
> >     SYSTEMS that have OSI (Open Source Initiative, www.opensource.org)
> >     approved licenses, even if non-Open-Source applications (but not
> >     operating systems) are included in the same distribution.

> Another possible problem is the reference to Open Source Initiative
> approved licenses.

Yes, it contaminates other software. DFSG #9.

> > The intention is to allow C-Kermit to be distributed with "free"
> > operating systems such as GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, The Hurd,
> > etc, ...

> I would think that amply covers debian,

Yes, but it is narrow enough to be (as bad as) "specific to Debian".

> Are there any other problems with the license?

There doesn't seem to be any permission to distribute it *without*
bundling with any operating system at all.

--
Henning Makholm                         "Logic is a system for talking about
                   propositions that can be true or false, or at least enjoy