Re: [ardour-dev] The Ardour Manual

Henning Makholm <henning@makholm.net>:

> > Hmm. Provide the LaTex code (scrambled) and place it under the GPL.
>
> If it's deliberately scrambled so as to make modifications difficult,
> then placing it under GPL will be pointless

As far as I can see it is not scrambled in order to hinder
modification; it is scrambled in order to hinder use.

They presumably intend to forbid modification in order to prevent
someone from unscrambling it and competing with the version that they
sell commercially.

So it's non-free.

It's possible that the authors might agree to make source available so
that people can use it to privately make modifications such as
typesetting it for a non-standard paper size, or with a large font for
a vision-impaired reader, or whatever. However, people will then use
this to remove the "Unpaid" watermark ...

Edmund