Re: [ardour-dev] The Ardour Manual

Scripsit Robert Joerdens <rjo-lists@gmx.de>

> Hmm. Provide the LaTex code (scrambled) and place it under the GPL.

If it's deliberately scrambled so as to make modifications difficult,
then placing it under GPL will be pointless -- scrambled source does
not qualify as "source" by the GPL's definition [1], and so a nominal
GPLing offers no real permission to redistibute anyway.

[1] In interpreting the DFSGs requirement (#2) of being accompanied
    with "source code", we (debian-legal) generally assume a definition
    similar to the GPL's.

> Maybe the Debian legal people can come up with an idea.

The goals stated on <http://ardour.sf.net/manual.html> are inherently
incompatible with being free.

> And Debian (as well as others) has serious problems with the GFDL:
> <http://people.debian.org/~srivasta/Position_Statement.xhtml>

That's hardly relevant if it is non-free on other counts.

--
Henning Makholm                                "Okay, okay, life's a beach."