Re: Call to Power 2 license

On Sun, Dec 28, 2003 at 01:28:56PM -0600, Ryan Underwood wrote:
> So, I noticed CTP2 source was released a while back, and pondered
> creating a package alongside the port efforts.  However, I took a look
> at the license:
>
> http://www.apolyton.net/csd.php
>
> and cringed.  Is there anything that this license *does* allow you do to
> with respect to modification and redistribution?

No. All you can do under this license is create entirely new game
content and distribute it for free - nothing else. You can't even
mirror the source; if they decide to stop distributing it, or the
company goes under, it's gone forever.

This is a "look, but don't touch" license.

> Aren't the people
> porting and improving it just wasting their time?

Yup. They're also potential targets for criminal lawsuits in the US
and civil ones in most of the world. Stay as far away from this as you
can.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |