Re: motion to take action on the unhappy GNU FDL issue

Hi Zack,

On Sonntag 20 April 2003 03:19, Zack Weinberg wrote:

> I am not a Debian developer, but I am one of the upstream
> developers of a piece of software (GCC) that would be affected
> by this proposal, and so I would like to say that I
> wholeheartedly support it.  I wrote a lot of the text in the
> cpp manual, at a time when its license was the old vague FSF-
> documentation license; I'm not at all happy with its
> relicensing under terms I don't consider to be free.

Has there been a version under the old license that already
included your changes? Has the old license been DFSG-approved,
or was it even GPL-compatible? If so, you could start

 * a free (maybe even GPLed) fork from the old free version, and

 * maybe also a fork of the non-free version that will function
   more as a supplement to the free version than a full text,
   and therefore has all of the unnecessary free stuff removed.
   (Would the GFDL allow this?)

cu,
Thomas
 }:o{#