Re: Suggestion to maintainers of GFDL docs

On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 09:40:49AM -0400, Peter S Galbraith wrote:
> Consider this a suggestion to maintainers of packages that contain
> documentation that are under the GFDL, especially if it contains
> invariant sections.  Imagine if an Emacs user visited Info and saw this:
>
> * Menu:
>
> * Distrib::	        How to get the latest Emacs distribution.
> * Copying::	        The GNU General Public License gives you permission
> 			  to redistribute GNU Emacs on certain terms;
> 			  it also explains that there is no warranty.
> * GNU Free Documentation License:: The license for this documentation.
> * Why you shouldn't use the GFDL:: Debian doesn't recommend using this license.

Debian can't legally distribute such an info document. Because the
GFDL is incompatible with the GPL, it is prohibited to even
create an info document from GFDL'd texinfo source. See #183860.

--
Brian M. Carlson <sandals@crustytoothpaste.ath.cx> 0x560553e7
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare