Re: query from Georg Greve of GNU about Debian's opinion of the FDL

* Anthony Towns (aj@azure.humbug.org.au) wrote:
> A lot of prose does the same -- it's written to persuade or to explain
> or to record, rather than to entertain or amaze. Conversely, substantial
> amounts of software derive its justification from aesthetics and it's
> Debian's opinion that computer games should be free to go into main too.

as a software developer, i'd also propose that software can be
aesthetically beautiful in it's own right - a well-formatted perl
program can easily take the place of a piece of poetry! (excuse the
accidental alliteration...)

just as we cannot distinguish data from code, so we cannot
distinguish software from that software's documentation.

iain

(not a DD, just a very satisfied user)

--
wh33, y1p33 3tc.

"If sharing a thing in no way diminishes it, it is not rightly owned if it is
not shared." -St. Augustine