Re: popular swirl...

On Wed, 2003-12-31 at 16:33, Andrew Suffield wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 03:18:29PM -0800, Ben Reser wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 06:04:01PM -0500, Brian T. Sniffen wrote:
> > > This has come up before.  SPI was asked to look into the trademark
> > > violation involved.  IIRC, the proprietor of elektrostore was contacted
> > > and dismissed the complaint -- saying there wasn't any proof Debian had
> > > come up with the swirl either, and it could come from a font or
> > > something -- that maybe Debian and the web designer he paid got it from
> > > the same source.
> >
> > Ignore the trademark issue.
>
> We probably don't have a valid trademark on the swirl anyway; too many
> people use swirls. But this one is actually copyright infringement
> (unlike, for example, the Sega Dreamcast logo[0] or the Tivola
> Publishing[1] logo).

It's only copyright infringement if they took our logo and modified it.

I find it equally believable that the Debian swirl we use isn't the
original work of the designer, but was taken with permission from
elsewhere -- such as a clipart library, just as the font was bought by
the designer.

Until we have some kind of statement that the swirl was a hand-painted
work by the designer, I really think talking about this is a stupid
thing to do.

(Remember, we've seen a version of our swirl used that would have to
have been unrolled and rolled up a different way -- this continues to
suggest to me that there's a website of swirls somewhere by one designer
available for use; and ours comes from that.)

Scott
--
Have you ever, ever felt like this?