Re: Changes in formal naming for NetBSD porting effort(s)

Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>:

> You seem to have already noted this, but I should re-emphasize that
> since the Tolkien novels are still under copyright, then legally the
> names from them are just as much risky choices as names from Pratchett
> are.

Does anyone seriously think that copyright applies to names? I've
never heard of copyright applying to anything smaller than a haiku.

(I don't think the following forms part of a relevant argument, but if
there is such a thing as copyright on names you might want to print
out all vaguely pronouncable combinations of up to about 10 letters,
whack an ISBN on the print-out, deposit it in the national library,
send a complimentary copy to Pratchett by registered post, then sue
him next time he invents a "new" name.)