Re: Plugins, libraries, licenses and Debian

Arnoud Engelfriet <galactus@stack.nl> writes:

> Anthony DeRobertis wrote:
>> On Dec 9, 2003, at 13:38, Arnoud Engelfriet wrote:
>> >However, what I'm saying is that if you bundle the existing
>> >host and the existing plugin into a composite work, you may
>> >have created a derivative work. Just like if I put an existing
>> >photograph next to an existing text to produce an illustrated
>> >article.
>>
>> I think that process is much better described by:
>>
>> 	A ''compilation'' is a work formed by the collection and
>> 	assembling of preexisting materials or of data that are
>> 	selected, coordinated, or arranged in such a way that the
>> 	resulting work as a whole constitutes an original work of
>> 	authorship. The term ''compilation'' includes collective
>> 	works.
>
> That would seem to fit much better than derivative work, yes.
> However I do wonder whether the combination of host and plugin
> constitutes an original work of authorship? There seems to
> be little creativity involved.

Sure there is -- but it's performed by the person who wrote the
plugin, as he sculpts the interface to fit to the host, and to provide
useful functionality to it -- not merely by itself.

-Brian

--
Brian T. Sniffen                                        bts@alum.mit.edu
                       http://www.evenmere.org/~bts/