Re: Plugins, libraries, licenses and Debian

M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> sure.  I personally feel uncomfortable with applying a license that
> 1) nobody knows what it means, and 2) the FSF can change the terms of
> at any time.

They can't. What most people do is say "This program is free
software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of
the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software
Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any
later version."

This way the FSF can introduce a new version of the GPL and I
can use any software with the above text under that new version.
But if the software is only licensed under GPLv2, there is no
way I can use it under GPLv3 without the author's permission.
See e.g. the Linux kernel.

Arnoud

--
Arnoud Engelfriet, Dutch patent attorney - Speaking only for myself