Re: Plugins, libraries, licenses and Debian

Anthony DeRobertis wrote:
> On Dec 7, 2003, at 17:07, Arnoud Engelfriet wrote:
> >If I understand the FSF correctly, they claim that a package
> >containing both 'afe' and the 'barnitz' plugin is a derivative
> >work of the 'barnitz' plugin.
>
> No package containing both was created in the above!
>
> Even if one were, it'd be a compilation --- not a derivative work ---
> as there was no modification of either work. IOW, a mere aggregation.

It is definitely an "aggregation" but is it a _mere_ aggregation?
A package with both afe and barnitz is likely built in such a
way that the end user will run both. That seems to suggest the
package is more than just the two on the same storage medium.

> >And since the FSF's logic is "linking at runtime means
> >derivative work before runtime", it follows that the bundle
> >is a derivative work of the plugin.
>
> That doesn't follow. If we assume linking at runtime means creating a
> derivative work before runtime, then we can conclude only that the
> plugin is a derivative work of the plugin host.

It is the host that loads the plugin into its memory, not vice
versa. So it is the host that does the linking.

Arnoud

--
Arnoud Engelfriet, Dutch patent attorney - Speaking only for myself