Re: Plugins, libraries, licenses and Debian

bts@alum.mit.edu (Brian T. Sniffen) writes:

> I don't know the details of who writes the SSL support for Konq or how
> it's done, nor do I have any machines with Konqueror on them in front
> of me right now, so I can't comment on that.

Ah, found it -- Debian KDE list, late July 2002: Konqueror doesn't
link against OpenSSL.  It runs a separate process (kcm_crypto, it
looks like), which links against openssl... but does so in a way that
*doesn't* invoke OpenSSL's advertising clause.  Thus, the GPL
prohibition on additional restrictions isn't invoked, and what KDE's
doing is fine.

-Brian