Re: Plugins, libraries, licenses and Debian

M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> Arnoud Engelfriet <galactus@stack.nl> writes:
> > If I understand the FSF correctly, they claim that a package
> > containing both 'afe' and the 'barnitz' plugin is a derivative
> > work of the 'barnitz' plugin. Afe by itself of course isn't
> > a derivative, but someone who bundles the two is creating
> > something new based on two pre-existing works.
>
> I think it's more logical to call it an aggregation, as used in the
> GPL.

Me too. But the two do work together and are bundled precisely
to enable the end user to use them together. I am not sure
that is "_mere_ aggregation".

> > And since the FSF's logic is "linking at runtime means derivative
> > work before runtime", it follows that the bundle is a derivative
> > work of the plugin.
>
> I'd personally like to see that logic put to test.  I don't have the
> cash to ensure the outcome is what I want, though.

And those who do have the cash, do not want the PR nightmare
you'd get if you did that.

Arnoud

--
Arnoud Engelfriet, Dutch patent attorney - Speaking only for myself