Re: Preparation of Debian GNU/Linux 3.0r2 (II)

On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 04:14:43AM +0300, Alexander Cherepanov wrote:
> The fun thing is that outlines also are "the data that merely
> represents...", so Type1 and TrueType fonts should not be
> copyrightable. AFAIU the only thing there that may be copyrightable is
> advanced hinting which really uses programming. The sad thing is that
> Adobe v. SSI was judged
> (http://web.archive.org/web/20010303011442/http://www.bna.com/e-law/cases/adobe.html)
> other way. How is it possible is beyond my understanding.

Conflict of interest (also known as "fortuitous confluence of
interests"), bribery, or spineless, abject subservience to corporate
power.

The latter is so astonishingly common that it renders the former two
seldom necessary.

If there were justice, Adobe executives would be in prison for their
crimes against freedom of expression.  Unfortunately, our society is
structured such that crimes of this nature are rewarded, rather than
punished.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Humor is a rubber sword - it allows
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    you to make a point without drawing