Re: If not GFDL, then what?

On Sat 11 Oct Mark Pilgrim wrote:
> Here is what I would like to do:
>
> 1. Give away my book for free.
> 2. Force translations and all derivative works to remain free.
> 3. Force my editor's contributions to remain free.
> 4. Allow Apress to publish the book commercially.
> 5. Put the book in Debian main.
>
> What license would you recommend for that?

One license you may wish to consider is the Creative Commons Attribution
License:

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/1.0/legalcode

It appears to fulfil all of your requirements, afaict, except perhaps
being suitable for main.  It perhaps has the advantage over the GPL of
being clearer to those who aren't experienced with such things.

This license was previously debated here:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2003/debian-legal-200302/msg00074.html

There didn't appear to be any consensus on DFSG-freeness.

Cheers,

Doug.

--
6973E2CF print 2C95 66AD 1596 37D2 41FC  609F 76C0 A4EC 6973 E2CF
"If you are the type of person who likes assault weapons, there