Re: Swiss Ephemeris Public License

On Fri, 2003-10-10 at 15:07, Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:
> I recently did an ITP for swiss-ephemeris which computes astronomical and

> If you do not meet the requirements in the SEPL, for example if
> - you develop and distribute software which is sold for a fee higher than a
>   reasonable copy charge

This goal is not free; it violates 1.

>                  THE SWISS EPHEMERIS PUBLIC LICENSE (SEPL)
>                                 version 0.2
>
>               Copyright (C) 1998 Astrodienst AG, Switzerland.
>                      Everyone is permitted to copy and
>                      distribute this license document.
>
> This license applies to any software containing a notice placed by the
> copyright holder saying that it may be distributed under the terms of the
> SEPL version 0.2. Such software is herein referred to as the Swiss
> Ephemeris Software (SE). This license covers modification and distribution
> of the SE, use of third-party application programs based on the SE, and
> development of free software which uses the SE.
>
>                                Granted Rights

> 3. You may make modifications to the SE files and distribute your
>    modifications in a form distinct from the SE.

I take it this means distribute as patch files?

>  The following
>    restrictions apply to modifications:
>
>      a. Modifications must not alter or remove any copyright notices in the SE.
>
>      b. If modifications to the SE are released under this
>      license,

BUG: I don't have to release source under this license, unless its a
machine-executable form? Did you intend that?

>  a non-exclusive right is granted to the holder of the
>      copyright of the unmodified SE to distribute your
>      modification in future versions of the SE provided such
>      versions remain available under these terms in addition to any
>      other license.

I think this violates DFSG 3. I am not allowed to distribute my
modifications "same terms as the license of the original software." I
must *also* grant a right to the "copyright holder of the unmodified SE"
to sub-license my work as he chooses.

I think this is on the border of free and non-free, but on the non-free
side.

> 4. You may distribute machine-executable forms of the SE or
>    machine-executable forms of modified versions of the SE, provided that

>      c. You ensure that all modifications included in the
>      machine-executable forms are available under the terms of this
>      license.

So, in order to distribute binaries from modified sources, I must
license my changes under this license, which means I must also give a
separate license to the original author.

> 6. You may develop application programs, reusable components and other
>    software items that link with the original or modified versions of the
>    Swiss Ephemeris Software. These items, when distributed in
>    machine-executable form, have the following restrictions:

>      b. You must explicitly license all recipients of your items to use
>      and re-distribute original and modified versions of the items in both
>      machine-executable and source code forms under terms identical to
>      those under which they received the items.

Do you intend copyleft with this? I don't think it achieves that, at
all. It sounds like I could distribute them under terms that say for
each execution of the program, pay Anthony DeRobertis $15. They could
give copies to friends, who would have to pay me $15 per execution, too.

> 7. The trademarks 'Swiss Ephemeris' and 'Swiss Ephemeris inside' and the
>    associated icons may be used for promoting software, products or
>    services which use or contain the Swiss Ephemeris. The names of the
>    authors of the Swiss Ephemeris Software and of the Copyright Holder may
>    not be used to endorse or promote products or services derived from or
>    linking to the Swiss Ephemeris Software without specific prior written
>    permission.
>
> This license file and the copyright notices in the source files are the
> only places where the author's names may legally appear without specific
> prior written permission.

"I'd like to thank J. R. Hacker, J. Q. Public, et. al. for their work on
Swiss Ephemeris, which is used extensively by this program." in the
manual would be against the license. DFSG 3 and 9, anyone?

Drop this paragraph --- the one before does what you want, I think.

> This license file and the copyright notices in the source files are the
> onlyplaces where the author's names may legally appear without specific
> prior written permission.

(again?)