Re: Wolfenstein 3D license

Hi,

On Fri, Sep 19, 2003 at 11:12:17PM +0200, Mathieu Roy wrote:
> Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> a tapoté :
>
> > On Fri, Sep 19, 2003 at 12:21:48AM -0500, Ryan Underwood wrote:
> > > I am trying to get my improved fork of the icculus Wolf3d ready for
> > > release.  There are tons of new features, but I am unclear on the
> > > license.
> >
> > Could you please post the text of the license to the mailing list in
> > plain text format?  I tried to look at it, but:
>
> It is the following (clearly non-free):
>

> 	LIMITED USE SOFTWARE LICENSE AGREEMENT

[..]

Obviously the original license is unacceptable; so my curiosity lies in
whether or not there was another release at some point with a different
license.  I'm also wondering how heavy the modifications must be in
order not to fall under the original license.

Using the recently released `comparator`, I compared the two source
trees:a
$ ./comparator ~/var/dos/old/wolfsrc2/ ~/afs/pkgs/wolf3d-sdl/debs/wolf3d-0.5rcu/src

#SCF-B 2.0
Filtering: language
Hash-Method: RXOR
Matches: 0
Merge-Program: comparator 2.1
Normalization: line-oriented
Shred-Size: 3
%%
/home/nemesis/afs/pkgs/wolf3d-sdl/debs/wolf3d-0.5rcu/src/: matches=0,
matchlines=0, totallines=37170
/home/nemesis/var/dos/old/wolfsrc2/: matches=0, matchlines=0,
totallines=48435
%%

Which would seem to imply that there were no substantial similarities
between the trees.  However, some of the source files are named the
same, some of the functions have the same name; and furthermore, I have
no idea if I used the tool correctly (it's the first time I used it).

However, there were a lot of functions that used DOS/x86 asm that were
completely rewritten in C by someone along the line.  most ifdefs
throughout the code were removed and replaced with runtime conditionals.

So I don't know.  I would hate to release it and piss someone off.
Furthermore, I would like to see it included in Debian, but with the
unclear license terms, that is impossible at the moment.  Perhaps
someone knows someone at id that could be simply asked directly about
the status of the code?

--
Ryan Underwood, <nemesis at icequake.net>, icq=10317253