Re: Unidentified subject!

On 2003-09-17 20:34:13 +0100 Brian W. Carver <brian@rurnt.com> wrote:
That's good to hear. Of course another related concern is forward-looking. It is a terrible waste of scare resources to have Debian create a DFSG-free manual every time a GFDL-licensed manual is produced for some new piece of software. [...]

Analogously, it may be considered a terrible waste of scarce resources to produce free software manuals when proprietary manuals (such as most of the ORA books) exist, but we do it anyway. Debian is committed to providing its users with 100% free software. If authors and publishers wish to produce manuals that are not free software, then we can ask them to reconsider, but ultimately we cannot include them. We do not necessarily have to have Debian produce manuals itself. We need to encourage wider development of free software manuals. Suggestions (probably off-list) on how to do that are welcome.

The publisher of a significant number of manuals has apparently decided to produce manuals that are not free software and seems not to want to make them free software, and I don't see that how there will be sufficient common ground to change that basic problem.

It's a shame, definitely, but it always was when others did it too.