Re: A possible GFDL compromise

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:

>     a separate file in /usr/share/doc/PACKAGE/copyright, it has to be
>     included in the derived work itself.
>
> I'm not sure whether your talking about the files as installed
> in a machine, or a distributable package.
>
> If you mean the distributable package, both the GFDL and the GPL
> require a copy of the license to be in the package itself.
>
> If you mean the files as installed, neither license prevents it from
> being a symlink or hard link to a file present elsewhere in the file
> system.
>
> So I think there really is no difference.

I meant that the GFDL requires you to have the license content itself as
part of the document, whereas it can be a seaprate file for the GPL.

: A "Modified Version" of the Document means any work containing the
: Document or a portion of it, either copied verbatim, or with
: modifications and/or translated into another language.
:
: 4. MODIFICATIONS
:
: In addition, you must do these things in the Modified Version:
:
: H. Include an unaltered copy of this License.

It says to "include an unaltered copy of this License" "in the Modified
Version" (not alongside of it in the package).

Peter