Re: Attribution-ShareAlike License

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 07:40:43 -0400, David B Harris <david@eelf.ddts.net> said:

> On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 12:25:03 -0500
> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> wrote:
>> > Are you being sarcastic, pointing out the vagueness of the terms?
>> > Many people edit PDFs directly (myself included on occasion).
>>
>> As have I, but I have had to resort to using non free tools on a
>> non free OS to do so. Are you aware of free software that would
>> allow me to directly edit PDF files?  If not, then Florian may have
>> a point.

> There are a number of tools that convert PDF into a more workable
> format, and an equal number of tools which can convert to PDF. I use
> pdf2ps and ps2pdf, myself. (Note here that in the case of my resume,
> PDF was at one time my source format. I used these tools :)

	Quite. But the discussion about editing PDF _directly_ -- if
 you convert PDF to another format to edit, and convert back to PDF,
 the preferred form for editing is the other format; the preferred
 form for storage and transmission may be PDF.

> However, I'm not one who believes that just because a file format
> only has non-Free editor implementations that the file format itself
> is non-Free. There are many ways one can edit PDFs with Free tools,
> but this is beside the point for me. It's not (to my knowledge)
> patent-encumbered, and Adobe hasn't (to my knowledge) attempted to
> stop anybody who has written those tools that manipulate PDFs.

	I see your point.

	Oh, off topic, I'd appreciate it if you could point these
 tools out to me (off list, please), most of my attempts to convert
 back and forth have resulted in loss of information/formatting.

	manoj
--
Ask five economists and you'll get five different explanations (six if
one went to Harvard). Edgar R. Fiedler