Re: A possible GFDL compromise: a proposal

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:

> 	    - Maybe GNU should consider the option to provide its manuals
> 	    in two versions, one without philosophical/political/historical
> 	    texts, one as the current manuals.
>
> I considered this possibility in the 1980s, not as an option but
> rather as a potential problem.  So I developed a method to make sure
> this would not happen: invariant sections.  The danger has not gone
> away, so we still need invariant sections.

Clearly, as a publisher/copyright-holder you must believe this.

I don't really believe it.  In the 1980s, formalized free software was a
new concept for almost everybody.  Today, there are too many free
software projects for the word _not_ to get out.

If you didn't make your philosophical Invariant, I'm quite sure Debian
developer's that package your software would leave them in.  Peer
pressure is a more important tool in this community than forcing things
on people.

Peter