Re: A possible approach in "solving" the FDL problem

* Fedor Zuev <Fedor_zuev@mail.ru> [030814 21:42]:
> On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, Bernhard R. Link wrote:
>>So while most jurisdictions may have different terms and some
>>may even state the term "software" in their laws (I guess most
>>will more likely take an more exact wording and only the
>>commentary refer to software), we still have to find a suitable
>>definition which of its meanings we want it to mean.

> 	Please note that there is  substantional difference between
> word "may" (or "can") and word "is". You read to me long lecture on
> how the world may be arranged. Very accurate lecture, without doubt.
> But I not talked about how world may be arranged. I talked about how
> the world _is_ arranged. According to my poor knowledge, of course.
> You see any factual mistake in my statements? Let's discuss it.

What I was trying to say is: It does not matter at all how world is.
Some legislations may use the word software for something, but it does
not matter at all. And it does not matter which meaning we choose.
(As it does not matter if all newspapers of this world call something
 murder, a court has to decide based on the definition given in law
 and law's commentaries if it is murder or manslaughter)

>>And just saying all digital data is software is the easiest and
>>most elegant meaning in this context.
>
> 	In which context?

In the context of which definiton for the word "Software" in the DFSG
and other agreements within Debian is the reasonable.

>>It think the most important difference between computer programs
>>and non-computer-programs here in Germany is the ability to
>>protect non-human-generated pieced (like compiled computer
>>programs). Everything
>
> 	Printed books copyrighted from the very beginning of
> copyright regime.

What is copyrightable in a printed book? I only know of the text
it contains and perhaps the layout used.
If a computer wrote the text or created the layout, it will not
be protected as far as i know.

Hochachtungsvoll,
  Bernhard R. Link

--
Sendmail is like emacs: A nice operating system, but missing
an editor and a MTA.