Re: A possible approach in "solving" the FDL problem

Sergey V. Spiridonov <sena@hurd.homeunix.org> wrote:

> Stephen Ryan wrote:
>
> >>Unfortunately we do not live in the ideal world.
> >>
> >> Freedom has a value because it is convenient and useful to be free.
>
> [snip]
>
> > You have taken the one sacred cow in the entire place here, and have
> > suggested that it is merely a convenience, and that we should have a
> > barbecue next Friday afternoon.  "Free enough" -- them's fightin'
> > words.
>
> I feel that GPL will be offered next in sacrifice to the sacred cow. Of
> course, GPL is not *absolutely* free!

I agree with you.  I'm also afraid that the next release of the GPL
won't mean what the current one does.  I'm also afraid that the FSF will
sacrifice it in the name of some exchange.  If that happens I pity all
those that have license their with the words "or any later version".  I
certainly have stopped doing so.  My level of trust have gone way down.

>  > You have also suggested that market share or wider distribution is a
>
> Sorry, it was not suggested. This is the way, how it works.

Maybe in your world it does.  WE have managed quite well without
worrying about market share.

>  > What you have missed is that freedom is easily traded away, but only
>
> The freedom can be traded. That is important point.

Except that we are resisting that trade, while you are cheer-leading it.

Peter