EBCDIC (WAS: Re: a minimal copyleft)

Andrew Suffield <asuffield@debian.org>:

> > EBCDIC is not a subset of ASCII, I'm pretty sure. Any translation is
> > going to be lossy.
>
> IIRC, aside from the control codes (which are virtually unused anyway,
> and thusly not an issue) it is.

If you look at the top left-hand corner of a British computer keyboard
you see a key labelled with these 3 characters: ¬ ` |

However, | is usually typed with a key in the bottom left-hand corner
labelled with '¦'.

Apparently, the characters ¬ and ¦ still appear on keyboards because
they were in EBCDIC. See /usr/share/i18n/charmaps/EBCDIC-UK. The only
other non-ASCII printable character on a British keyboard is '£', and
I don't think EBCDIC had any other printable characters not in ASCII.

Edmund