Re: {debian-legal} Re: APSL 2.0

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003, M. Drew Streib wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 11:10:34AM -0400, Brian T. Sniffen wrote:
> > out of networked environments.  If they succeed in promulgating these
> > ideas, they'll hinder growth of networked systems.  Perhaps a good way
>
> I could agree with you, except that networked systems can't really
> be hindered too much now. They are pretty much a given.

Indeed.  These ideas will severly hinder growth of software which is
licensed under such terms.

If Debian starts accepting such terms, it removes one of the primary
reasons I choose it over other distributions (leaving the other reason,
which is that it works well).  Once I have to start examining the license
of every piece of software I run on a server, I may as well just buy a
proprietary system.  At least there I know I won't be forced to distribute
anything.